Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I absolutely love a good makeover!

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for makeovers. It all started with the Merle Norman advertisements (I know some of you are like, "Who's that?"), then, it (the obsession) moved to before and after pictures, on Oprah, of people who lost lots of weight (and kept if off). From there, it moved to Extreme Makeover-both people and home editions-and now, since we have cable, I have become a fan of Stacy and Clinton, from TLC's What Not to Wear. But more than that, I am most impressed when an "internal makeover" occurs.

Last week, I read in the New York Times about David Tyree of the Super Bowl-winning, New York Giants. I have no idea what position he plays (so don't ask me). As a matter of fact, before last Monday, I didn't even know he existed! Anyway, his story moved me. Although Tyree was a good ball player and was drafted in 2003, he spent much of his pre-NFL life abusing drugs and alcohol. This continued after he began playing for the Giants. Eventually, he took on a second job as a drug dealer; however, that career didn't last long because it landed him in jail. In early 2004, after leaving jail, he decided to make a change. Unfortunately, this is where many of the makeover stories end. . .the people are changed and then run off into the sunset. But, there's more. . .


Tyree rededicated his life to Jesus Christ. As a result, he realized that he was not put on this earth to simply play football and enjoy the lifestyle that a 6 or 7-figure salary can afford. He seems to realize that his greater calling is to use his position as a catalyst for change in others. The writers explain that while Tyree has gained fame from making possibly the greatest catch in the history of the Super Bowl, he remains more concerned with changing lives. Tyree and his wife started Next in Line, a project that counsels teenagers. I don't know about you, but I think that is absolutely wonderful!

At a time, when we are bombarded by political rhetoric, news of economic woes, earthquakes everywhere and tragedy at every turn-home and abroad, it is nice to hear of some good that is taking place in the world. Be encouraged, hearts are still being changed for Him, one at a time!



Notes
Bishop, G. & Thamel, P. (2008, February 11). Spotlight shines on a changed man.
The New York Times, pp. D1, D4.

No comments: